Maintaining your air conditioner will prevent any unnecessary repair, keep it working efficiently, and extend the life of your AC unit. The best time to perform preventative maintenance with a licensed and reputable HVAC contractor is in the spring before summer heat waves hit.
Summer is the busiest time of year for air conditioning specialists, so ensuring your system is working in prime condition before it gets hot is ideal. There are also many ways homeowners can keep their system in good condition year-round.
Homeowner Tips on Keeping the Air Conditioning and Home Energy Efficient Year Round
Always ensure only licensed specialists make repairs or work on your air conditioning system. Avoid do-it-yourself repairs unless you have proper training.
However, there are many ways to keep your home in a perfect condition for effective air conditioning operation, such as keeping the areas around the AC unit clear, changing the air filter, and keeping your home dust free.
– Clear away dirt, debris, leaves and obstructions from outdoor condenser
– Check for leaks (look for active moisture near condensate drain)
– Clean or replace filters
– Check for foul odors when the system first starts
– Listen for strange noises
– Add shade awnings or trees near windows
– Draw blinds or drapes to block the sunlight
– Set your ceiling fans to summer settings
– Avoid using your stove during the day
– Add insulation to ensure cool air does not escape
– Make sure all vents are clear of obstruction
– Set the thermostat at 78 degrees
Inside the home, homeowners can also ensure that dust and debris is kept at bay. Spring cleaning can help remove elements inside of the home to keep your A/C clean. It is best to perform a deep spring cleaning and then schedule your professional air conditioning tune-up for maximum efficacy.
Dust and Mop. Dirt, debris, dust and allergens can accumulate and eventually find their way into the home’s air circulation. It can settle on components of the air conditioner, block filters, and cause poor indoor air quality.
Change or Clean the Filter. Dirty air filters lead to poor air conditioning operation, blocked airflow, poor air quality, and can lead to damaged A/C systems. If your system uses a reusable filter, make sure to clean it at least every 4 to 6 months due to the San Diego climate, more often if you live near busy roads, have pets, or experience allergies.
Clear Clutter. If you remove excess clutter in the home, there will be fewer surfaces that can accumulate dust and enter into the air conditioning system or home’s air circulation.
Have Ducts Cleaned. An air duct cleaning every 5 to 7 years can help keep excess dirt, dust and allergens from circulating through the home and causing dirty air conditioner filters. A professional duct cleaning can keep your home and air quality clean and the air conditioning system working in great condition.
Schedule Preventative Maintenance. With air conditioning usage comes eventual wear and tear, so you should have a professional tune-up each year, in the spring for the AC and in the fall for the furnace.
Make sure to hire a licensed specialist and ensure they cover the complete Air Conditioning Maintenance Checklist:
– Check thermostat settings
– Tighten electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors
– Lubricate moving parts
– Check and inspect the condensate drain
– Check safety controls
– Check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates, and shuts off properly.
– Clean evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils
– Check your central air conditioner refrigerant level
– Clean and adjust blower components
– Change or clean air filter*
*Cleaning the filter of your air conditioner is crucial to efficient cooling and enhancing the system’s overall performance. We recommend investing in a high efficiency, pressure filter that will not cause high static pressure.
With a proper understanding of how to maintain a home air conditioner and following a few easy cleaning tips, homeowners can be summer ready before the first heat wave hits.
To learn more about maintaining your air conditioner, or to schedule your annual spring air conditioner maintenance service, call the experts at Bill Howe Heating & Air 1-800 BILL HOWE (245-5469), visit us on Live Chat or book your service online today!