Gas Leak Repair
A natural gas leak is odorless, which means you will not be able to smell gas if present. However, gas service companies add a “rotten egg” smell that usually can be easily detected in the case of a gas leak.
San Diego residents, if you smell natural gas or suspect a gas leak, it is important to act quickly and follow these steps before looking for gas leak repair services:
- Leave the premises immediately, opening doors and extinguishing any open flames, if possible.
- Do not unplug or plug in any electrical appliances, or turn off or on any light switches. This can cause a spark that could touch off a gas fire.
- Call SDG&E (Emergency number: 1-800-611-7343) or 9-1-1 from a neighbor’s phone. Operating a telephone in your home can also cause a spark.
- Do not smoke or light matches near your home. And be careful with some flashlights, as turning them on may cause a spark.
- Do not re-enter your home until a gas company official has inspected the premises, made any necessary repairs, and deemed it safe.
To help prevent a gas line leak, San Diego, it is important to make sure your gas appliances are properly installed and in a well-ventilated area and kept clean and in good working order. Annual inspections by a qualified San Diego gas leak technician also are recommended. To reduce the chance of fire, be sure to keep all combustible materials away from furnaces, water heaters, ranges or other gas appliances.
For additional peace of mind and safety, an easy-to-install home gas detection unit can be purchased at home centers for $35 to $50. Typical gas detectors will identify methane and propane gas. A separate detector is needed for carbon monoxide ($45-$50). Gas and carbon monoxide detectors are especially recommended for the elderly or anyone with a diminished sense of smell.
Reliable, 24-hour Emergency Gas Leak Repair Services at Bill Howe
Bill Howe is San Diego’s go-to for all gas leak repair services. To find a gas leak repair San Diego company, please contact us at 1-800-BILL-HOWE (1-800-245-5469) and set up an appointment today.