Avoid Thanksgiving Day Kitchen Drain Clogs
Did you know that potato peels are the leading cause of Thanksgiving Day kitchen drain clogs in San Diego? Every year, Bill Howe Plumbing in San Diego gets hundreds of calls reporting kitchen back-ups during Thanksgiving celebrations.
But, there are many things you can do to avoid those pesky back-ups allowing you the time to spend with your friends and family. Our San Diego plumbing professionals recommend to avoid putting anything in the drain, but especially potato peels! Even if you have a disposal, you should use it sparingly and only for small particles left on your dinner plates. We made a quick video to help remind you of a few easy steps to prevent clogs!
- Try peeling potatoes over a bowl or trash bin.
- Remind your guests to scrape plates over the trash before placing them in the sink.
- As you’re washing and rinsing dishes, use a little degreasing soap (such as Dawn) and run hot water down the drain.
- You can also do this once a week to help clear grease buildup in your kitchen drain, preventing clogs before they happen!
- If you have a disposal, make sure you clear it often while hot water runs, and listen for the sound ensuring the chamber is empty.
- If you are going to place dishes in the sink, make sure to use a drain strainer to capture any large food scraps.
- If you do need emergency service, make sure to choose a San Diego plumbing professional who is licensed and will provide a quote over the phone (many plumbers charge double time rates on major holidays).
With a few step of prevention, you can rest easy knowing you will have a kitchen clog-free Thanksgiving. We wish you a day full of friends, family, laughter, and love!
And if you do have to make a call to a San Diego plumbing company, why not try Bill Howe? We have been providing the highest quality at affordable rates for 35 years, and specialize in drain cleaning services. Call 1-800 Bill Howe (245-5469) for a quote or to schedule your drain snaking today!